Woman-bashing Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was cut by his team Monday after a horrific new video showing him decking his fiancée in a casino elevator emerged.
“The #Ravens have terminated RB Ray Rice's contract this afternoon,” the team announced in a terse tweet.
The shocking development came amid renewed outrage over the way the NFL handled the scandal and as Ravens coach John Harbaugh scheduled an 8 p.m. news conference at which the running back’s future was expected to be discussed.
Rice, who rushed for more than 1,000 yards in four straight seasons for the Ravens, was already in the doghouse after a disappointing 2013 season during which he gained 660 yards and scored just four touchdowns.
The new footage posted by TMZ.com on Monday showed Rice knocking out Janay Palmer seconds after the doors closed — and sent shockwaves across professional football.
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell had taken heat for suspending Rice for just two games after the first batch of tape emerged last month showing the player dragging his unconscious wife out of the elevator.
Confronted with the new footage, Goodell insisted he had never seen it before.
“We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator,” the NFL said in a statement. “That video was not made available to us. And no one in our office has seen it until today.”
Contacted by The Daily News, the Atlantic County prosecutor's office declined to comment on the video or the NFL’s claim that they never saw it.
But an Atlantic City Police statement issued after the Feb. 15 incident at the Revel Casino made it clear that investigators had eyeballed the fracas footage.
“After reviewing surveillance footage it appeared both parties were involved in a physical altercation,” the statement said. “The complaint summons indicates that both (Rice) and Palmer struck each other with their hands. The responding officer signed a simple assault complaint against both Rice and Palmer."